2006/08/14

Use Windows XP Upgrade Version With Boot Camp

Apple says in their installation guide[pdf] that a full-install Windows XP disc, no upgrade versions, is required for use with Boot Camp. Not entirely true. I was able to use Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 along with a Windows 98 install disc and an external USB CD-ROM drive.

I followed Apple's instructions as usual, except for the substitution of Windows XP upgrade version. Then when the Windows XP upgrade installer prompted me, I inserted the Windows 98 disc into the external CD-ROM drive. That's the only difference; installation continued as usual.

Note: You can't boot the Windows XP disc from the external CD-ROM drive if it's USB; boot the Windows XP install disc from the internal optical drive. I also actually used an USB to IDE adapter to connect an old CD-ROM drive I had laying around. I found some help at the Windows on the Mac forum at Mac Rumors.

2 Comments:

At 1/02/2007 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can also testify that it works using an external firewire CD drive (on a MBP, using a Windows Home Upgrade disc with Windows 98). :)

 
At 1/08/2007 2:37 PM, Blogger Ted said...

good to know

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home