2006/08/15

Watch Yahoo! Music Videos On A Mac

Update: Yahoo! Music now has a Mac friendly beta music video player (have to sign in to enable it). You can ignore the post below; it's pointless, just like me.

This is what pops up when you try to watch a Yahoo music video on a Mac:

Yahoo Hates Macs

This is what you need to make it go away (install in order):
  1. Firefox - after installing and only if you're using an Intel Mac, Get Info and set it to open using Rosetta (I'll explain why in the next step).

    Open Firefox with Rosetta

  2. Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X - it's not a Universal binary, which is why you need to open Firefox with Rosetta if you're using an Intel Mac. What about Flip4Mac? It doesn't do DRM, which I think Yahoo music videos use. If you do decide to install Flip4Mac, install or reinstall Windows Media Player after Flip4Mac. You may also need to reassociate the .asf filetype with Windows Media Player. Just create an empty file with TextEdit or whatever and rename the file with an .asf file extension. Then Get Info and Change All to open with Windows Media Player:

    Associate .asf files with Windows Media Player

  3. Greasemonkey - launch Firefox and install the Greasemonkey extension. Then quit and relaunch Firefox.

  4. pkLaunch - install this Greasemonkey script by Pooya Karimian. Thanks Pooya! Now I can watch all the Gwen Stefani music videos I want! (You can stop making fun of me now.)

    Update: Version 0.9 of pkLaunch works fine in Windows but is broken on the Mac - at least it is on my Intel Mac mini. Use the older 0.8.1 version instead.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger pooya said...

Hi Ted,
Are you good with HTML/Javascript and Firefox? I don't have access to mac but it seems like many of the pkLaunch users are Mac users. It would be great if you test some stuff for me and let me know if they work correctly on Firefox Mac.

 
At 8/15/2006 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. I used to use pklaunch but it never really worked for me. so i searched the net deep. and I found this neat app. lyfox. its cool perfect for use mac users its just another way to watch music video from yahoo on the mac.

 
At 8/15/2006 11:54 PM, Blogger Ted said...

Hey Pooya (man, Blogger really needs nested comments),

I'd be happy to test some stuff for you, but I don't know how much help I can be. I'd rate my HTML/Javascript skills as somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I've only had my Mac for about 3 months and my Firefox usage is just slightly longer.

I can usually figure stuff out and I have alot of time on my hands, so feel free to make use of me (man, I just realized how sad I am).

 
At 8/16/2006 12:59 AM, Blogger Ted said...

Hey anonymous (whoever you are),

Thanks for the heads up on LyFOX. I wasn't able to play videos within LyFOX itself, but I could play the videos in QuickTime Player/Flip4Mac as well as Windows Media Player from the LyFOX generated URL (VLC just gave me audio only). I guess that means I was mistaken about the Yahoo music videos being DRM protected? Hmm, this warrants more investigation.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home